Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Daisha

Photographed By Keith Major

THE D(N)A ARTS COLLECTIVE IN NEW YORK, WHY AND WHEN DID IT GET STARTED?
My family has always made a commitment to giving back to the community. I believe it’s very important to spread knowledge, educate, and inspire people. Fortunately, my (senior) sister feels the same, so we decided to do something together that could make a difference.

WHEN DID YOU FIRST REALIZE THAT YOU WANTED TO PURSUE A CAREER IN DANCE?
I’ve always been rather reserved or "quiet" as some may say. Dance was my escape to release emotions non-verbally. It was a strong hobby for a long time and during college I realized that I could actually make a career in it. I built enough confidence in my training to see what I could do in the "real world." I also just couldn't see myself doing anything else. Still can't.

WHAT’S YOUR TRAINING IN DANCE, MUSICAL OR THEATRICAL WORKS?
I trained in classical piano since the age of five until 16. I’ve trained in all genres of dance (ballet, modern, tap, jazz, African, hip hop) since the age of five. I attended the Ballet Royale institute of Maryland, Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater Summer Intensives, Duke University Summer Intensives, Broadway Dance Center, and Hofstra University with a BA in Dance.

YOU’VE TOURED WITH RIHANNA, PERFORMED WITH BEYONCÉ, DIDDY AND PITBULL, AND FEATURED IN TWO OF THE “STEP UP” MOVIES, PLEASE SPILL THE BEANS!
Funny! It's all been such a blessing. I love the stage. Showtime is what I live for. You train and prepare for years to be on stage for sometimes three minutes. Kinda crazy when you think about it. But wow, is it satisfying. Because I’m a recording artist and actress as well, I’ve learned so much from everyone I've ever worked with. Each artist functions differently. It's a lot less glamorous than what it seems.

LIST YOUR FIVE (MORE IF YOU LIKE) ALL TIME FAVOURITE DANCE MOVIES
“Center Stage”, “Step Up”, “Save the Last Dance”, Dirty Dancing”, “Fame” and “The Wiz”.

WHAT ELSE DO YOU GET UP TO BESIDES DANCING?
I’m a recording artist with MBK/Sony Red. I’m currently gearing up to release my first EP. I’m also an actress, and I’m currently in training to become a vinyasa flow yoga instructor.

HOW DO YOU STAY IN SHAPE?
Dance and yoga. I also box once a week and eat very well.

WHAT BEAUTY PRODUCTS CAN’T YOU LIVE WITHOUT?
Oh, I need all my curly hair products (Devacurl). I also need concealer, bronzer, eyebrow pencil, and mascara.

HOW DO YOU FIX UP, LOOK SHARP?
Depends on what the event is; usually big hair and heels work like a charm.

AND HOW DO YOU KEEP YOUR EARS TO THE STREET TO KEEP IT FRESH?
I keep abreast on social media. I also like to attend events where I know the tastemakers and creatives hang out.

2 comments:

  1. I have never felt so uncool. Which classes did she take again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love dancing. She looks so fit. And I love her sense of style!

    Jessica | notjessfashion.com

    ReplyDelete