Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Florence Kasumba

Photo Courtesy Of Marvel Entertainment

YOU’RE A THIRD CULTURE KID, BORN INTO A UGANDAN FAMILY, RAISED IN GERMANY AND CURRENTLY WORKING ALL OVER THE PLACE. HOW HAS YOUR LIFE EXPERIENCE SHAPED YOU?
I grew up in a Ugandan household, but since my mom came to Germany as a teenager, she knew it was important for her children to learn the language at a native level. Though we grew up speaking German, my parents never held back with stories about Uganda. Still, they both lived international lives starting as young adults. I continued that tradition by studying acting, dancing, and singing in the Netherlands. After that, my work took me to many international locations. In my life, I've changed continents and countries. I've been able to work in three languages. Those experiences make up who I am, and I wouldn't trade that freedom for anything.

WHEN DID YOU DECIDE TO BECOME AN ACTOR?
I was 12 and on a school trip to see the musical, “Starlight Express”. I was blown away by what the performers did on stage. I thought then and there, “I can do that. I want to do that.” Singing, dancing, and acting all together - that was it.

WHAT DO YOU PREFER, THE STAGE OR SCREEN?
There is no preference. I fell in love with stage early on, but my first screen experience came, while I was studying. It was a romantic role, which was filmed on location in France. It doesn't get better than that! Though I film mostly, I have never left stage work.

WITHOUT GIVING AWAY ANY SPOILERS, WHAT IS IT ABOUT THE DORA MILAJE (THE ADORED ONES) IN “CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR” THAT CAPTIVATES THE AUDIENCE?
When I did my research on the Black Panther, I was extremely fascinated by the strong women surrounding T'Challa in his comic book stories. I think that modern audiences are more open than ever to seeing strong, confident, yet feminine women, who show what they are capable of.

WHAT WAS IT LIKE STARRING OPPOSITE SCARLETT JOHANSSON AND CHADWICK BOSEMAN AND HOW DID YOU PREPARE FOR THE ROLE?
When I did the casting for this project, I had no idea what the film was or with whom I would be working. Sitting in the makeup trailer, it was great to finally meet Scarlett. When I finished, I was driven to the set and as I got out of the car, I saw Chadwick. The thing is... a few months before that, I had filmed a series in Capetown and I ended up sitting next to him at a dinner hosted by one of the series' producers. It was nice to see him again. Both of them are true professionals. After I got the job, I started researching the characters involved in the Civil War comics.

YOU’RE PROBABLY SWORN TO SECRECY, BUT WILL THE CHARACTER MAKE AN APPEARANCE IN THE UPCOMING BLACK PANTHER MOVIE (BLINK IF THIS IS THE CASE)?
Yes... I am sworn to secrecy.

YOU’RE CURRENTLY SHOOTING “EMERALD CITY” FOR NBC, WHAT CAN YOU SHARE ABOUT THIS PROJECT AND ARE YOU A FAN OF “THE WIZARD OF OZ”, BOOK AND FIRST MOVIE?
Of course I am a fan of “The Wizard of Oz”. It is also a big part of musical theatre. Being a part of this project and cast has been the experience of a lifetime. I'm excited to see the reactions of fans worldwide!

WITH YOUR BUSY SCHEDULE, HOW DO YOU ENTERTAIN YOURSELF RECREATIONALLY?
 In my free time, I love watching my favorite series (“Daredevil”, “Jessica Jones”, “Empire”, and “Scandal”) and working out.

HOW DO YOU STAY FIT?
While I'm home, I train in Shaolin Kung Fu, Tai Chi Chen, Tai Chi Yang, and Qi Gong, almost daily. When I am on the road, I spend time in the hotel fitness room doing cardio.

WHAT OTHER HIDDEN TALENTS DO YOU HAVE?
I played tenor saxophone and was in a symphonic band for many years.

No comments:

Post a Comment