Saturday, September 14, 2019

Sheila Janet On Her Capsule Collaboration With Oceanus And How She Rolls A Spliff Every Once In A While

Image Courtesy Of Sheila Janet

"I am located in Amsterdam and born and raised in Tilburg, that's in the south of the Netherlands.  The best thing is that I moved out of Tilburg. Growing up there I always felt out of place. The people there were very closed minded.

I always wanted to create a women´'s brand. In my teens, I sew my own Destiny´s Child outfits for house parties I went to. In winters, I kept myself busy sketching a full spring/summer collection for myself.  Fashion is an underrated art form. I am not interested in the commercial side of fashion. I see fashion as a form to express myself.

I went to technical fashion school. After that, I did Interior design. Because these studies were too specific, I went to art school for lifestyle and design. Art school was a good place for me to develop myself as a person and creative.

I started Lait de Coco studio earlier this year. I'm the creative director. Creating content, building the collection and the branding. I wanted to create a summer brand with holiday essentials. I'm currently designing a capsule collection for a collaboration with Oceanus Swimwear.  Swimwear is my passion and always something I wanted to do. This spring, Butterscotsh Isle x Oceanus Swim is launching, and I'm very exited.

About inspiration: My best friends who are also super creative and have the most brilliant minds I know. The strong women that raised me. In my work I always porttray woman as supernatural. A woman's inner strength is life to me.

Because I'm an 80's baby, I am obsessed with the 80-90s. It's nostalgia at it's best. My home is decorated in lavish 80's style. My clothes are all authenic vintage finds from that time, and I love watching old movies to get new idea's for work, or myself.

Concerning beauty routines, I swear by coco butter. After an extremly hot shower, I apply it. It smells delicious and makes my skin glow all day. I love to smell like something you want to take a bite out of.

My spare time I spend with my guilty pleasure; "Real Housewives of Atlanta", "Basketball Wives" and "Love and Hip Hop".  I also love to go to fleamarkets and thriftstores. That's where I find my best pieces.

To unwind, I roll a spliff, and go for a walk in Amsterdam with Lana del Rey in my ears. I'm her biggest fan."

As told told to MBF
14 September, 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment