Friday, April 6, 2018

Shakespeare Is Still The Shit

Photographed By Ellinor Forje

Circa 10 years years ago, the cousin and I got into a spat over how to entertain ourselves on a hot post-summer day in New York City. She wanted to do Shakespeare in the Park, I wanted to see "Mary Poppins". The latter was deemed too childish by some. So, we parted ways after a heated debate, ensuing I headed to the Theatre District.

I of course saw the show, Poppins, and it was supercalifragilisticexpialidocious! Yes, I know how to both say and spell it. Still, missing out on one of Shakespeare's best comedies (live!) was a tough pill to swallow. The longing to see a production variety lingered forever and it was only last month that I finally got to see an operatic version of the play in London at the Coliseum.

It was a stunning visual delight. Props to the creative direction for the contemporary colour scheme and overall magic. Also to the makers of the salted caramel ice cream the sibling and I ate during intermission.

That said, I have confession to make however; I'm more of a Shakespeare tragedy kinda gal. "If you wrong us, shall we not revenge?" And all that jazz, that is so me.

No comments:

Post a Comment