Saturday, January 26, 2019

Karen Mulligan On Her Life Lessons And Career With Annie Leibovitz


Photographed By Kathryn MacLeod 

"I live in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. Since I moved to New York, I've always lived below 14th Street, and over the years moved further downtown and eventually over the bridge to Williamsburg.

When I first moved to NY, I lived in the far East Village where one neighbor held weekend cock fights and another neighbor had a Vietnamese pig. A lot has changed since my first days in the city, but I love every minute of living in it. Sure, it isn’t easy and some days when I'm cramming my body onto the L train to get to work, I think otherwise. But, when I am standing on the platform waiting for the train and look around, I'm inspired. The people of New York inspire me. I love to see what they are wearing, what they are reading, what they are talking about. New Yorkers are tough yet passionate. And I love this. I grew up on the East Coast, so living in NYC makes sense for me. It is what I know and in some ways have always known.

There is really no place like New York. While NYC constantly changes, it also stays the same. The skyline gets me every time. I see it and I know I'm home. And the double bridge view of the Manhattan and Brooklyn Bridge from Dumbo takes my breath away. I definitely get nostalgic for places that have shut over the years but always seem to find another new place to fill the void. And the music, the art, the fashion – it is overwhelming how much you can do in one given day! In so many ways, it's is like a small town. For such a big city, there is always the chance of a run in with a friend or a colleague. It's always amazing to me how in a city of millions of people, I always manage to see someone I know.

When I was in elementary school I took a “when I grow up,” survey and all answers pointed to me being a farmer or an astronaut. A lot has changed since that questionnaire. Even though my parents were totally supportive, if I wanted to be a farmer or an astronaut, I chose a different path. I've always been an avid reader. Reading books gave me a window into other cultures, places, and people. I always had and continue to have a romance with books. My plan was to be an English Professor. I imagined lying on grassy campuses reading and discussing books as my future. And then my plans changed. After graduate school, I ended up interviewing with the photographer Annie Leibovitz for a research position. She was working on a new book called 'Women' and she needed someone to research possible subjects. This was the start of my 21-plus-year career working for her.

I've always loved fashion. I'm addicted. I keep an archive of one of a kind of pieces and recently when my wardrobe really started to get out of control, I decided the only way I could buy something new, is if I sold something old. In comes RealReal – my go to for selling off my old fashion. I could live without a lot of things. Fashion isn’t one of them. I used to think you couldn’t be smart and like fashion. That fashion was whimsical – too frivolous. The reality is, fashion is art. It is a unique way of expressing yourself. And really fashionable people are true artists, in my opinion. And the first time I went to a haute couture fashion show in Paris, my world changed. It was magic. It was art and fashion and theater, and I was enraptured. I work for someone super creative and working for Annie, you have no choice but to live and breathe it. It is exhilarating and exciting to be part of a creative process that involves so many bits and pieces – whether it is finding the right location, the right shirt, or an animal wrangler or whatever is needed, it is so much fun to be part of it.

It's a seminal experience working for Annie Leibovitz. I'm an Agent, plus Studio Manager. I've had so many experiences that have changed my life. I've had access to people and places I would never have had in any other job. After 20 years, I'm still gob-smacked when I'm in the same room as one of my heroes. I remember the first time I met Gloria Steinem. I didn’t say a word and just listened and couldn’t believe how lucky I was to be in the same room as this national treasure. Or when I stepped into the White House and met President Obama. These are experiences I would have never imagined as a young girl reading 'Nancy Drew' in my bedroom.

I started working for Annie in 1997. I was right out of graduate school and had no idea what I was doing or how I landed this job working for a photographer. My average workday starts around 8:30 in the morning and ends around 7 p.m. It starts with cleaning out my email inbox, followed by meetings, calls. Half the time I'm out of the office on location for photo shoots. Every day is different. On one day, I might be working on a photo shoot, or an exhibition, or a book, or a special project. It is always an adventure.I'm really detailed and organized. I like to do research and problem solve. I enjoy being a ‘fixer’ and going to a new location in the world and figuring out how to navigate the new landscape.

I studied English literature and art history at Sophie Newcomb at Tulane University, and received my Masters in American Literature from NYU. I never thought my degrees would serve beyond cocktail chatter, but in my current job, my education plays a role in my day to day. My work environment is steeped in culture and the arts and my background serves me well in this environment. Working for Annie Leibovitz, in many ways, is like getting my PhD in art.

Over my lifetime, I have had so many influences in my life. In some ways, everyone I have ever met has influenced me. My parents were my first great influences. They're my greatest champions. They gave me a confidence and support that made me always believe I could accomplish anything and that it was okay to have missteps, make bad decisions and fail. I'm a middle child in between two brothers but we were all raised the same. There was never you are a girl – you can’t do that. I played with dolls and was a medieval knight, I wore frilly dresses and overalls – I skied and I figure skated, I played soccer and took ballet. I had a great childhood.

I'm moved by music. Art can bring me to tears. Books feed me. My boyfriend is an artist and even though it drives me crazy to find drops of paint everywhere, I love having art covering the walls of our apartment. I kind of dress like I'm a paper doll. Lots of layers. Lots of different pieces. Lots of patterns. Lots of designers. I love a shirt with a tie or a bow. My go to is Prada. On one day I might have a Prada skirt with maybe a rock t-shirt, my Pierre Hardy Trek sneakers, a vintage Gucci belt, and my wrecked Balenciaga motorcycle jacket. On another day, I might wear a suit and tie, and on another a floral dress with motorcycle boots. I never plan what I'm wearing until I wake up and see what mood I'm in.

I'm a creature of habit. I use the same products every day. I use Dr. Colbert and Chantecaille for cleansing and moisturizing, and Chantecaille and Westman Atellier makeup. I tried for a bit to be the girl who gets a blow out weekly but that really isn’t me. My hair is a bit wild and is more my personality. Thank you to Ashley Javier for keeping up my golden locks.

When I'm not working, I really try and take advantage of the city where I live – going to the theater, museums, galleries, the parks, and checking out new restaurants. I escape to my house at the beach in Amagansett. As soon as I pull in the driveway, all the stress in my day-to-day life floats away.

To unwind, I read a good book. I try out new recipes and cook for friends. I go to SoulCycle in Williamsburg - instructor Austin W. is the best! And I box at Rumble."

As told to MBF,
January 24, 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment