Monday, January 28, 2019

Damaris Cruz


Photo Courtesy Of Damaris Cruz

WHERE ARE YOU RIGHT NOW AND HAVE YOU ALWAYS LIVED THERE? 
I presently reside in San Juan, Puerto Rico, where I was also born and raised.

WHAT'S BEST THINGS ABOUT YOUR CITY OR HOMETOWN?
Now that I live close to the University, I guess one of the best things about my hometown is that it's more like a college town. Lots of art, music and clubs all around It's fun. There's always something going on.

WHAT WERE YOUR CHILDHOOD ASPIRATIONS?
As a child I always wanted to be an architect

WHY ARTIST?
I don't think I ever said, "I want it to be an artist", I just am. Don't know how to be anything else. I have a creative mind. Itdoesn't matter what I'm doing, I always do it in a artsy kind of way, it comes naturally.

 WHY PHOTOGRAPHER?
I always loved photography. My dad used a camera for work, and he let me take the last two o three pictures before the roll film was over.  I've always been familiar with cameras, pictures etc.

WHAT'S YOUR PREFERRED MEDIUM?
I don't have a preferred medium, at the moment when im creating or working on a piece I don't think I should just stick to one medium. But for obvious reasons I have more dominium on Photogray

WHY IS YOUR BACKGROUND TRAINING?
I started photography lessons, at school, in the ninth grade, and then eventually that became my major in college.

WHAT GEAR DO YOU USE?
I'm a little addicted to cameras. I have many of them, and not necessarily fancy or expensive. It all depends on what image im working on. But for most of my work my gear is Canon 7D.

WHO OR WHAT HAS HAD THE BIGGEST INFLUENCE ON YOU?
I don't ever think about influences, maybe that part happens unconsciously. But part of my influence is classic paintings. Also Basquiat, Jack Delano, Cindy Sherman...

WHAT IS YOUR CREATIVE PROCESS?
I like to say that I paint with paper, I treat my walls like canvases. I think I have a photographic memory. I have a lot of images that don't know where they came from but I remember them. Every time I'm working on something I start of playing with layers of elements taken from my memory. Sometimes images pop up and I start researching to find something poetic about to later express it in a painting.

HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONAL STYLE AND AESTHETIC?
My personal style is vintage/modern chic, I love the classic look, a lot of color and fashion.

WHAT DO YOU GET UP TO WHEN YOU'RE NOT WORKING?
Most of the time, I'm working- I try to take time off to pamper myself. I go for a run almost everyday, and on road trips just to get fresh air.

HOW DO YOU UNWIND?
At the beach or working on my plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment