Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Why Charlotte Matabaro Started A Male Grooming Cosmetic Line Called Mohecan

  Photo Courtesy Of Mohecan

Charlotte Matabaro was born and raised in Tower Hamlets in East London. She lived there until 1995 before moving to Ireland. "I’m mixed race, Tanzanian, Irish and British. Even though I was born in central London," she says adding that she absolutely loves living in the countryside, "I could never go back to living in a city. I love the silence and the feeling of having all this space to yourself. Cows make the best neighbours!"

Growing up Matabaro never really had any aspirations, and she's honest about it. "When I was in school, I felt like a prisoner. I couldn’t believe it was legal for them to keep me there every single day until 4:00 p.m. I spent every day looking out the window at the birds, the cloud formations, the trees moving in the wind or people passing on the street." At one stage, they actually moved her desk away from the window so she would concentrate on the lessons. "I just couldn’t understand how the 28 other kids in the room were listening to this man with a piece of chalk in his hand talk about numbers."

When she left school and went to college, the feelings stayed the same. Every job she ever had bored her. "I felt like I’d been sold a lie. Go to school get an education. Go to college get more education. Get a job in an office for a large multinational firm." She sat at her desk thinking, "this can’t be all there is can it? Surely there was more?"

There had to be more to life and Matabaro was determined to find out what it was. When she met her now business partner Marc she sensed things were about to change.

Marc revealed that he'd had to use concealers and foundation made for women when he was a teenager as he had bad skin and there was no male alternative. When she one day asked him what his dream job would be, he said he wanted to have his own cosmetic range for men. The idea was born, and every day, since June 2017, they've been building their business.

"We have a tinted moisturizer, a liquid concealer, a cream concealer, a clear eyebrow gel, anti-shine, bronzer, a latex free application sponge and a cruelty free vegan brush," and the response has been one of support. When they told people what they were doing, they fully expected to be laughed at, but the opposite is true. People have been so supportive, especially in Ireland. The local papers and radio stations have been especially supportive.

When it comes to her own asthetic, Matabaro doesn't have what you'd describe as a style or a look. "My wardrobe looks like a person with multiple personalities owns it," she says. "I love anything retro especially anything orange or with a 1970’s pattern." She avoids wearing black, dark or boring colours, preferring anything bright or with a bold print. Matabaro was a tomboy growing up and had to be sewed into dresses. This seems distant now as she rarely wears trousers.  "I love huge jewellery, anything made out of wood or plastic. I don’t own any traditional jewellery. As I’m tall and quite thin I tend to wear tailored items as anything loose fitting makes me look a little lost. I don’t buy into trends or fashion. I buy what fits. If something fits you well it never goes out of style."

When it concers her own beauty regimen, Matabaro keeps it basic. "I’m a firm believer in less is more. I wash my face with just warm water and moisturize with either coco butter or Laroche-Posay Toleriane as I have sensitive skin. I don’t wear foundation unless I absolutely have to. I can go months without wearing it. Most days I use eyeliner for a winged look, mascara, matte lip cream, anti-shine and a bit of bronzer. I’m lucky enough to have clear skin. I don’t feel the need to cover it."

In her spare time (which she doesn't have much of these days), she likes to spend time in the garden, several hours just pottering about. "I have been known to stay out there until its too dark to see. We live under a range of mountains and have the most spectacular view. Sometimes I just sit outside on the lawn and watch the dogs run up and down." Or, she might lay down on the grass and stare at the clouds, "I find it so relaxing."

If the weather is bad, which it often is in Ireland, Matabaro does a bit of sewing or knitting. She's also an avid reader and tends to read four or five books at once. With so much to do and so little time, it's impressive that she still finds the space to run a hot bath, bring in the radio, a book and massive glass of wine. "I can stay in tub for up to two hours at a time I just love it. You come out feeling brand new. I try to coordinate it with clean sheet, if possible, to make sure I get a really good night sleep."

1 comment:

  1. So inspurational Wish i had your energy.such Ithusiasum in Genaral. good luck with It all.

    ReplyDelete