Monday, August 1, 2011

Say Do You Remember?

Photographed By Ellinor Forje

“How much does it weigh, and how many pages?”

It’s one of the questions asked by a Condé Nast executive during a boardroom meeting about Vogue’s September issue. Remember the 2007 one, with Sienna Miller on the cover?

I discovered the infamous edition under my bed two days ago. I don’t remember what I was originally looking for, but there it was, in all its 1,000-page splendour. I’d forgotten quite how enormous it was, and the motive behind its magnitude. They wanted to break a record. They broke it, and then some.

Yes, size does count. Don’t let anybody fool you into thinking otherwise.

My rather Livingstonian discovery prompted me to re-watch “The September Issue” (2009), and I think I appreciated the documentary more this time than I did on my first viewing. Back then, I was primarily interested in the business and creative machinery of publishing. This time, I found myself paying closer attention to the personalities, their mindsets and, perhaps most interestingly, the way they interact with one another.

There are several moments in the film that resonate with me. Anna Wintour asking photographer Mario Testino, in the middle of a creative session, whether he’d seen Roger Federer play the other day is completely irrelevant to the task at hand, yet somehow perfect for the moment. Creativity, after all, doesn’t always arrive according to the agenda.

Then there’s Grace Coddington recalling something one of her mentors once told her: “Always keep your eyes open, because whatever you see out of the window can inspire you.” It more or less sums up her modus operandi, and perhaps explains why her work feels so observant and richly imagined.

And last, but certainly not least, André Leon Talley playing tennis.

You need to watch the film for this alone. It’s a riot. Talley looks fabulous in his Louis Vuitton gear, naturally, and I have enormous respect for the genius that he was, but this should probably be the first and last time the word “tennis” and the names “Federer” and “Talley” appear in the same film, let alone the same paragraph.

R.J. Cutler, are you listening?

Anyway, back to Vogue.

While flicking through the pages of my rediscovered copy, I stumbled across a Nordstrom advertisement I’d completely forgotten about. The illustrations stopped me in my tracks, so I thought I’d share them with you.

I’m in love with them.

They almost beat the cover.

18 comments:

  1. i was just talking about these illustrations to a friend the other day! they're very unique. btw, how is the september issue as a movie? i've gotten such mixed reviews!

    sara tee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very special and creative illustrations. Pity they are not done these days, and yes, I do remember;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow these illustrations are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Orange bag is so nice!
    http://cookieswardrobe.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to re-read my old magazines aswell ^__^
    Just thinking like 'omg that was hot in 2002??' you know :P

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. September Issue is a great documentary. Good references.

    GTBB,
    http://badjoan.com
    http://badjoan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post! I definitely have a "Vogue" obsession :) Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the illustrations!

    Thanks a lot for your comment! You're welcome! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. you are right, they are really good illustrations! great colors...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love them all, very unusual style :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for your lovely comment!!
    I looooove the first picture - this outfit is awesome!! :))

    Desislava
    http://truedreamcatcher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. When u saw my pics do you remebered california?!
    That is amazing!!*

    http://cofashopaholic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey. Thank you for your lovely cooment on my blog http://madifonbyfashion.blogspot.com/. I'm glad you did it because I fell in love with your blog :) Consider me your follower :)
    Regarding to this post, "the september issue" is a great movie, I've seen it a few times. my sister watches it over and over. :)
    I'm looking forward for more posts.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love these illustrations too...fashion illustration is so cool! Love the September issue also, I have it on dvd, a great insight into the behind the scenes of Vogue. Following you now...come follow me back if you enjoy my blog xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the dress on 1st photo! Just started following your blog and like its unique charm! Very cool!

    Hope you'll have time to check out mine!
    K.
    http://www.bloglovin.com/en/blog/3008424/poshkay

    ReplyDelete
  16. I never got a copy of this Vogue eventhough I was very curious to see the final result after seeing the film.

    Love this add, very original

    Thank you for your comment on my blog !
    www.tripsandtreasures.blogspot.com
    new outfit post : my trip to Portugal

    ReplyDelete
  17. those illustrations are beautiful! it;s the same artist that illustrated The Little Black Book of Style by Nina Garcia, altho i don't remember his/ her name.

    http://frustratedwriterstyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete